Monday, January 27, 2014

On Workbenches Part II The Clockwork Bench

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
So how do I plant to incorporate the lessons Ive learned from the Schwarz into my own Clockwork Workbench? They form the foundation of my approach. My bench will be a 3D clamping surface with legs flush with the edge. That is where I leave the purity of Roubo.

Bob Langs 21st Century Workbench
In terms of overall shape & form, Im basing my Clockwork Bench off of Robert Langs 21st Century Workbench. From his design Im changing the leg assembly the most, using trapped panels in addition to stretchers. This is designed to simplify the joinery, reduce the ability of the bench to rack and add mass.

Megans "Gluebo" LVL Bench.
Though the trail I’m following has been blazed by Megan Fitzpatricks LVL bench, materials are where my bench will be least conventional. At least half of the top will be of LVL construction. The second half of the top may be LVL too, or it may be Timberstrand (dimensional lumber made of OSB). My legs and stretchers will be Timberstrand, with each front-to-back leg pair housing a double panel composed of one layer each 3/4" OSB & 3/4"plywood MDF.

One of my stretcher panel assemblies, just prior to glue up.
It sounds like quite the bastard, I know. Yet Im looking forward to building and using it. I am optimistic (perhaps naively so) that it will be my penultimate workbench.

Does your workbench rest on a foundation of bench philosophy or did you just find a flat surface and get to work?

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment